Summer in Volterra, Italy
Get immersed in Tuscan culture and traditions during a six-week academic program in a beautiful medieval city of Volterra in Italy. Courses in art history, Italian language, and alabaster sculpture combine to offer students an intensive educational and cultural experience, which may be applied to a wide variety of interests and majors.
The next study abroad to Volterra is scheduled for SUMMER 2017 from June 12 - July 24.
The Volterra International Residential College is a beautiful, newly renovated facility specifically designed for academic use. The building is located within the medieval city walls of Volterra, only a short walk from the Piazza dei Priori, the city center. The first two floors house classrooms and common spaces, and the top floors contain the resident faculty apartments and dormitories for up to 21 students. All guest rooms of the Volterra International Residential College enjoy magnificent views of the city and of the surrounding countryside.
- Art History 262: History of Western Architecture (4 credits) (satisfies General Education requirement) OR
- Art History 395 Special Topic in Art History: “Art and Architecture in Italy” (4 credits)
Students may additionally enroll in following workshops taught by local instructors (for an additional fee):
- Italian Language
- Alabaster Sculpture
A complete suggested packing list will be provided, but a sample of the items includes:
- Attire: comfortable walking shoes, summer clothes, jacket for unexpectedly cold and rainy days, bathing suit, hat
- Electronics: laptop, camera, chargers, voltage converter/adapter
- Personal items: toiletries, sunscreen, medicine (Bed linens, towels and kitchen utensils will be provided)
Preference will be given to students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher, but students with lower GPAs will also be considered with permission of the instructor.
Program dates: June 12 - July 24, 2017
Application deadline: March 15, 2017
Application OPENS November 15, 2016.
You must have a valid passport with expiration not sooner that six months after return to the United States.
|Summer in Volterra, Italy|
June 13-July 25
|Number of Credits||4|
|Application deposit||Refundable damage deposit included in program cost|
|Meals not included||All meals not included|
|Books and supplies||N/A|
|Extra costs||Passport, personal incidentals|