Expand the section navigation mobile menu

Current and Future Students

The information that follows is made pursuant to various laws, including but not limited to the Higher Education Opportunity Act (“HEOA”) and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”). It provides students, faculty and staff with useful information about the University. For additional information, please contact the appropriate office or visit the indicated websites.

FERPA   |    Safety and Security   |    Missing Students   |   Program Integrity

General Information

General institutional information about the following topics can be found online:

Paper copies of this information can be found at the corresponding offices – Undergraduate Admissions at East Wilson Hall, Room 2000, The Graduate School at O'Dowd Hall, Room 520, Office of the Registrar at North Foundation Hall, Room 160, or the Office of Disability Support Services at Wilson Hall, Room 202, Rochester, Michigan 48309.

State Licensure Requirements

Information about Oakland University educational programs designed to lead to professional licenses or certifications can be found on the Professional Licensure Program Disclosure webpage. For additional information, contact the Director of Academic Compliance at [email protected] or (248) 370-2190.

Copyright Infringement and Peer-to-Peer Sharing Policies and Sanctions

The following links provide information about OU policies and sanctions related to copyright infringement and unauthorized peer-to-peer file sharing, including disciplinary action taken against students who engage in illegal downloading or unauthorized distribution of copyright materials using OU information technology systems. Unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material may subject students to University discipline as well as to civil and criminal liabilities. A summary of the penalties and sanctions for violation of federal copyright laws and University policy is provided in the information below.

For additional information, contact the Senior Director of IT Security & Chief Information Security Officer at [email protected].

Privacy of Student Records (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) provides students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within a specified time period;
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights under FERPA;
  3. The right to provide written consent before the University discloses personally identifiable information from the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent; and
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Information regarding FERPA, including what records constitute protected educational records; the procedures for exercising the right to inspect, review and request amendment to educational records, the definitions of “school official,” “legitimate educational interest” and “directory information,” and a description of rights pertaining to the designation of directory information, is available in OU’s Administrative Policy Number 470 and at OU’s Dean of Students website. For additional information, contact the Dean of Students at [email protected] or (248) 370-3352.

Safety and Security (including Fire Safety)

Oakland University's Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at oakland.edu/police/statement or you may request a paper copy from the Oakland University Police Department, 107 Police and Support Services Building; University Human Resources, 413 Wilson Hall; Academic Human Resources, 420 Wilson Hall; and the Office of the Dean of Students, Oakland Center,  Suite 150. For additional information contact the Oakland University Police Department Administrative Lieutenant at [email protected] or (248) 370-3331.

This report is required by federal law and contains policy statements and crime statistics for the University. The policy statements address the school’s policies, procedures and programs concerning safety and security and include, among other things, topics such as: crime prevention, fire safety, university police law enforcement authority, campus security authorities, timely notifications, emergency notifications, awareness and prevention programs for domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault and stalking, crime reporting policies, disciplinary procedures, fire safety report and other matters of importance related to security and safety on campus. The report also contains crime statistics for the three previous calendar years for certain types of crimes that were reported to have occurred on campus, in or on off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by the school and on public property within or immediately adjacent to the campus.

Information regarding those persons required to register on Michigan’s sex offender registry is available on Michigan’s Public Offender Registry.

Oakland University’s emergency response and evacuation procedures can be found on Oakland University’s Emergency Preparedness website. For additional information, contact the OUPD Chief of Police at [email protected] or (248) 370-3331.

Missing Student Notification Procedures

Notification procedures to be followed when a student residing on-campus housing has been reported missing for more than 24 hours are detailed on Page 35 of the Annual Security & Fire Safety Report. For additional information contact the Oakland University Police Department Administrative Lieutenant at [email protected] or (248) 370-3331.

Program Integrity (Complaints)

Oakland University encourages students and prospective students initially to address complaints relating to the University’s institutional policies and consumer issues with personnel in the office, department, college or school that caused the alleged grievance. Senior University administrators will be involved, as needed, to resolve the complaints. For additional information, contact the Associate Provost for Accreditation and Undergraduate Curriculum or Dean of Graduate Education at [email protected] or (248) 370-2190.

Pursuant to the state authorization provision of the Program Integrity Regulations (34 C.F.R. 668.43) established by the Department of Education, the following contact information is provided for filing complaints that remain unresolved after engaging in the above-referenced process:

  • Complaints concerning consumer issues may be directed to the Office of the Attorney General of the State of Michigan, Consumer Protection Division, P.O. Box 30213, Lansing, MI 48909-7713 or https://www.michigan.gov/ag/consumer-protection.


OU is prohibited from engaging in substantial misrepresentation of the nature of its educational program, its financial charges, or the employability of its graduates. 20 USC 1094(c)(3); 34 CFR 668.71 et seq. For such purposes:

  • A “misrepresentation” means a false, erroneous, or misleading statement made directly or indirectly to a student, prospective student, member of the public, accrediting agency, state agency, or the Department of Education. 34 CFR 668.71(c).
  • A “substantial misrepresentation” means a misrepresentation, including omission of facts as defined in the federal regulations, on which the person to whom it was made could reasonably be expected to rely, or has reasonably relied, to that person’s detriment. Id.

OU endeavors to provide only factual, accurate, and straightforward information about its educational programs, its financial charges, and the employability of its graduates. Any alleged misrepresentation by OU related to such matters should be reported to the following office for review and possible remedial action:

  • For Educational Program, contact the Associate Provost for Accreditation and Undergraduate Curriculum or Dean of Graduate Education at [email protected] or (248) 370-2190.
  • For Financial Charges: Contact the Director of Financial Aid and Scholarships at [email protected] or (248) 370-2550.
  • For Employability of Graduates: Contact the Systems and Data Analyst at the Career and Life Design Center at [email protected] or (248) 370-3250.

For general questions or concerns about possible misrepresentation, please contact the Director of Financial Aid and Scholarships at [email protected] or (248) 370-2550.

Intercollegiate Athletic Program Participation Rates and Financial Support Data (Equity in Disclosure Act)

The Equity in Athletics Disclosure Act Report contains information regarding Oakland University athletic program participation rates, financial support data and general information regarding athletics programs. You may request a paper copy of the report from the Athletics Department, Oakland University, Recreation and Athletics Center, Rochester, Michigan, 48309-4401, or access the information on the U.S. Department of Education Office of Postsecondary Education Equity in Athletics Disclosure website at http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/. For additional information on Intercollegiate Athletic Program Participation Rates, contact the Senior Associate Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Excellence and Strategic Initiatives at [email protected] or (248) 370-3190. For additional information on Financial Support Data, contact the Associate Athletic Director for Internal Operations at [email protected] or (248) 370-3190.

Financial Aid

The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships website offers information about the following:

  • need-based and non-need-based federal, state, local, private, and institutional financial assistance programs available to students;

  • estimated costs (including tuition, housing, books, etc) eligibility requirements and procedures for applying for aid;

  • criteria for selecting recipients and determining amount of award; methods and frequency of disbursements of aid;

  • financial aid terms and conditions, including terms applicable to employment provided as part of a financial aid package;

  • rights and responsibilities of students receiving federal Title IV, loans; how financial aid is handled when students withdraw;

  • the terms and conditions of federal student loans and entrance and exit counseling information; and

  • who to contact with questions regarding financial aid.

Students who have additional questions or complaints about financial aid should first work with a Financial Aid Advisor using the contact information below.

Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships - North Foundation Hall, Room 120
Phone: (248) 370-2550
Email: [email protected]

Should the dispute not be resolved after working with the financial aid staff, students may ask to be forwarded to the Director of Financial aid and scholarships. The Director of Financial Aid and Scholarships will review all financial aid complaints sent to Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships, the Dean of Students, or other University officials. All complaints are taken seriously, and will be viewed and responded to promptly. If the dispute is not resolved to the student’s satisfaction, there are resources outside of the college that may assist:

  • Federal Ombudsman for federal loan disputes
    U.S. Department of Education
    FSA Ombudsman Group
    830 First Street, NE Mail Stop 51444
    Washington, DC 20202-5144 Phone:
    (877) 557-2575 Fax:
    (202) 275-0549
  • Michigan Attorney General Office of Consumer Protection
    P.O. Box 30213
    Lansing, MI 48909
    (517) 373-1110
    Toll Free (877) 765-8388
    [email protected]

Graduation and Retention Rates

Information regarding student graduation and retention rates is available online. Additional information is available from the Office of Institutional Research, Assessment and Data Analysis (OIRADA) 512 Wilson Hall, Rochester, Michigan, 48309-4401. For more information, contact the OIRADA Associate Vice President at [email protected] or (248) 370-2387.

Student Body Diversity

Information about student body diversity, including the number of enrolled full-time students by gender and ethnicity, is part of the OIRADA Student Information web section. Information about the university's Pell Grant recipients can be found on the Performance Scorecard. For more information, contact the OIRADA Associate Vice President at [email protected] or (248) 370-2387.

Placement of Graduates
The Career and Life Design Center (CLDC) provides post-graduation outcomes of the University’s baccalaureate degree recipients, including the types of graduate and professional education programs in which graduates enrolled. For additional information, contact the CLDC Systems and Data Analyst at [email protected] or (248) 370-3250. 

Textbook Information

Registered students can obtain detailed lists of their required course materials by logging into MySail and clicking on the "View Books" button below the "My Courses" content header. For additional information, contact the Associate Provost for Faculty Affairs at [email protected] or (248) 370-2190.

Drug-Free Schools and Workforce Guide

The unlawful possession, use or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by students or employees in the workplace, on OU property or as part of a University activity is prohibited by the university and by state or federal law. The OU Ordinances governing the use of alcohol and drugs are available in the Student Code of Conduct and the employee handbooks and contracts provided by University Human Resources.

These resources also contain descriptions of the health risks of drug and alcohol abuse, drug and alcohol counseling, treatment and rehabilitation programs, and the legal sanctions for violations of University ordinances, local, state or federal laws relating to illicit drugs and alcohol. Paper copies of these resources can be obtained from the Office of the Dean of Students, Oakland Center, Suite 150, and University Human Resources, 413 Wilson Hall, Rochester, Michigan, 48309-4401.

For additional information about the Student Code of Conduct, contact the Dean of students at [email protected] or (248) 370-3352.

Voter Registration

The 1998 Reauthorization of the Higher Education Act of 1965 requires all U.S. colleges and universities to provide their students with state mail voter registration forms prior to national and gubernatorial elections.

Learn more about Voting in Michigan here: Center for Civic Engagement

You can print your own Michigan Voter Registration Application

If you are a first time voter find more information here: First-Time Voters

You can use this form to register to vote in Michigan if you are a Michigan resident. If you are not eligible to register to vote as a Michigan resident, please contact the state election authority in your state of residence for information on voter registration in that state.

For additional information on registering and voting in Michigan, visit the Michigan Secretary of State site.

For more information on the Center for Civic Engagement, visit oakland.edu/cce.