08/10/17 Animal Assisted Interventions
Learn hands-on, practical applications of animal assisted interventions (AAIs) as well as how AAIs have helped a variety of populations from experts in the field. Current or interested practitioners welcome. CEUs pending.
Dr. Maya Gupta, Senior director of applied research with the ASPCA where she evaluates the ASPCA's anti-cruelty efforts and design, and conduct research on topics related to keeping people and their pets together.
Other topics include dog behavior and training, the law related to AAIs, competencies in AAI, case scenarios from other programs, developing course curriculum and more.
- Engage in learning skills related to animal behavior in a practical, hands-on setting
- Be able to identify the competencies of practice and gain session plan ideas
- Hear from program directors working with a variety of populations to learn about their successes and set backs
- Understand the legal and ethical responsibilities of practicing AAI within their scope of practice
- $235 (early bird – register by June 30, 2017)
- $215 student rate (no CEUs)
Due to the hands-on nature of this conference, space is limited.
AGENDA* (subject to change)
|Thursday||7:30-8a||Registration /Breakfast||Theme: Practical Applications|
|8:20-9:20a||Kim Cardeccia||Self awareness and objectively determining if your animal is 'happy'|
|9:20-10:20||Laura Sanders||Case study: AAI with a young refugee man|
|10:35-11:45||Break Out Sessions|
Juliann Perdue: Incorporating AAIs into Curriculum
|1:00- 4:00p||CJ Bentley||Dog training/dog behavior/bodylanguage|
|8:20-10:20||Maya Gupta||Animal Welfare|
|10:35-11:45||Break Out||Juliann Perdue: Incorporating AAIs into Curriculum|
Ann Griffen: AAI and the Law
Leslie Stewart: Competencies in Practice
Donna Clarke: Triad of Treatment
Darlene Chambers: PAWS (Case study)
Kristen Roebeck: Autism and AAIs
Ashley Karas: Practicum Center
Jennifer Cepnick: Ethics
|1:00-2:00||Laura Bruneau||Theories related to AAIs|
|2:00-3:00||Claudia Combs (?)||Compassion Fatigue|
|3:15-4:15||Kim Cardeccia||Self Awareness|
Human Health Building
433 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester , MI 48309-4452#