Emotional Impairment Certificate (EI Endorsement)
The Certificate in Emotional Impairment focuses on in-depth preparation for working with students with emotional / behavioral disorders and is open to qualified candidates with Michigan teacher certification. Candidates have the option to complete coursework for the EI certificate (endorsement) alone, or - with additional coursework - the M.Ed. in Special Education withEI concentration (endorsement).
Plan of Study
- Advanced: This option requires an individual to hold a prior special education endorsement in Michigan
- Basic: This option is for general education teachers and only requires an individual to have a valid MI teaching certificate
Practicum/Student Teaching | View Practicum Information
In partial fulfillment of the requirements to earn this credential, the Michigan Department of Education requires that candidates complete a minimum of 180 clock hours in a supervised practicum experience teaching students with emotional or behavioral disorders. The practicum is offered as the final experience required for K-12 certification in EI. The specific nature of the experience will be individually determined at the time of approval of the practicum request.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree with minimum GPA of 3.0
- Must hold or be eligible for a valid Michigan elementary or secondary teaching certificate
- Potential for success in the program
- All coursework, with the exception of the EI Practicum, can be completed online
- The EI Practicum is a mandatory requirement for the certificate and must be fulfilled in an approved classroom setting
To be considered for graduate admission, applicants must submit all of the following university and program application documents by the published application deadlines.
Download an application packet. Read through the application packet carefully and submit all other required application paperwork to the designated areas.
Complete the free online graduate application by clicking on the button below:
- Application Type: Grad – Graduate Certificate
For the Planned Course of Study, select:
- Grad Cert in Emotional Impairment - Basic (if you have Michigan teacher certification but do not have a prior special education endorsement) OR
- Grad Cert in Emotional Impairment - Advanced (if you have Michigan teacher certification and at least one prior special education endorsement)
**Our Graduate Certificate in EI meets MDE requirements for the teaching endorsement.
If you have any other questions, please contact the coordinator below:
Susan Martino, Director of Program Development
(248) 370-4415 | (248) 370-4242 fax