M.A.T. In Secondary Education
The Master of Arts in Teaching in secondary education (MAT) with secondary certification is designed for career changers who already hold a bachelor’s degree. Designed for individuals who are considering a career in teaching middle or high school, it is a quality, two-year program with Oakland University’s excellent reputation for preparing teachers to enhance employability.
The program combines teacher education coursework augmented by three field placements in local schools. At the completion of the program, students will have earned a teaching certificate (grades 6-12) as well as graduate credit toward a master’s degree. The full master’s degree can be completed following certification.
Classes are held in the evening, except for the final semester of student teaching. Courses are taken as a cohort group with coursework beginning in the fall semester.
Classes are held in the evenings to accommodate working individuals until the final semester of student teaching. Courses are taken as a cohort group with coursework beginning in the fall semester. Most courses in the program are held in centrally located on Oakland University's Main Campus in Rochester, MI.
FIELD EXPERIENCES AND STUDENT TEACHING INTERNSHIP
One of the strengths of Oakland University's teacher preparation programs is field experience in the schools throughout the coursework. Participants receive varied experiences working with school-age children and have an opportunity to apply coursework to the teaching environment.
- Students will complete a minimum of 100 hours of field experience to observe instruction and classroom management, work with students, and implement lessons prior to the student teaching internship. These hours are divided into 3 semesters of approximately 30-35 hours each. Fields are completed within the school-day as weekly half-day visits during the specified semester.
- Fields and the student teaching internship are arranged by Oakland University. Limited after-school and Saturday field experiences may be available therefore working individuals should plan to make accommodations.
- Student teaching is 15 weeks full-time in the classroom and includes all school-related activities.
See catalog: Master of Arts in Teaching in Secondary Education
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or better (improved grades in recent coursework will be considered).
- Completed requirements for a minimum of one teachable major accepted by Oakland University and prerequisite courses. A transcript review must be done to determine readiness for the program, the form to initiate this process is found in the Application packet.
- Completion of graduate application and all application requirements.
456 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309
( Map/Directions )
To be considered for graduate admission to the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) in Secondary Certification program, applicants must submit a Transcript Review form to begin the application process. The application process involves several important steps:
Select Application type: "I am interested in a Master's program"
Academic Plans: MAT in Secondary Education
To be considered for graduate admission, applicants must also submit all of the following university and program application documents by the application deadline.
Submit items 1-4 directly to:
520 O'Dowd Hall
Rochester, MI 48309-4401
In two pages or less, please include a short biography, your professional goals, and respond to the following:
- What experiences have led you to believe you would enjoy teaching middle/high school students?
- What abilities do you have that lead you to believe you can manage a classroom?
- Specifically, what grade levels and/or areas of the curriculum do you hope to teach? Why?
- What knowledge, experience or personal attributes do you have that would benefit your students?
- What do you hope to accomplish in a teaching career?
Two Letters of Recommendation
- Two official and original Recommendation for Graduate Admission (Form required)
- Recommendations should be from individuals in a supervisory relationship to the applicant
- Recommendation letters must be returned in a sealed, signed envelope
Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
To be considered official, a transcript must be sent directly to OU's Graduate Admissions from each college/university you attended. You do not need to provide transcripts from OU.
Submit items 5-8 directly to:
363 Pawley Hall
Rochester, MI 48309-4401
Transcripts (unofficial are acceptable) for each course completed for your prerequisite courses. These are your major/minor subject areas. This excludes courses taken at OU.
MTTC Test Scores
All three sections of the MTTC Professional Readiness Examination (formerly Basic Skills) test, Major subject and Minor subject area tests must be passed prior to the program start. Request that your scores be sent to Oakland University.
Experience Working with Children Form
Minimum of 30 hours of experience is required. Experience should be recent (3-4 years) with middle or high school children in a teaching/learning environment. Suggestions for experience are listed directly on the form.
If you have any other questions, please contact the program site coordinator below:
Note: If you have not had your transcripts evaluated, please contact a coordinator immediately to submit.