Computer Science, B.S.
This tool should only be used as a guide — remember to meet with your academic adviser, Career Services and/or faculty to determine appropriate career options.
Our computer science degree puts you on the fast track to a computer science career.
The universe of computer science jobs never stops expanding—especially when you earn your computer science degree at Oakland University. Our industrial partnerships in Southeast Michigan’s famed “Automation Alley” create unique career opportunities for computer science majors. You’ll work with the most current computer science technologies and get introduced to next-generation applications that are redefining what computer science is. In addition, our computer science degree equips you with professional polish and versatility that gives you an edge in the computer science job market. With accreditation from the ABET Computing Accreditation Commission, Oakland University’s computer science degree prepares a diverse student population for an equally diverse range of computer science jobs.
Computer Science Degree: The Oakland University Advantage
According to the American Society for Engineering Education, Oakland University has one of the nation’s largest computer science programs, as measured by the number of computer science degrees awarded. Because we’re so large, our computer science majors enjoy an exceptionally broad range of academic choices, as well as opportunities for computer science internships and other hands-on training. The computer science degree at Oakland University stands out for its:
- Results-oriented curriculum. We’ve focused our computer science degree on applied skills that translate directly to the workplace. You’ll work on collaborative projects, examine real-world case studies, complete a senior capstone project, and do other work that sharpens your critical analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Computer science internships. Employers throughout Southeast Michigan actively recruit our students for computer science internships. Because the local economy is so diversified, you can find computer science internships in all kinds of industries and work with organizations of every size, from small businesses and nonprofits to global corporations.
- Outstanding faculty. You’ll take most of your computer science classes from experienced faculty, not adjuncts or graduate students. Our computer science faculty are true experts who combine academic distinction with research achievements and professional accomplishments. They’re also highly accessible and attentive individuals who’ll go out of their way to help you achieve your goals, in and out of the classroom.
- Access to advanced technology. Oakland University hosts several unique laboratories that enable computer science majors to get first-hand experience with cutting-edge technology. These facilities conduct active, government and industry-sponsored research in artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, data science, medical informatics, programming languages, software engineering, and other emerging areas.
- Inclusiveness. Our computer science degree serves an unusually diverse student body, preparing you to join a work force that’s more diverse than ever. Women and international students are well represented, both in the classroom and on our computer science faculty.
Computer Science Jobs and Careers
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics projects computer science jobs to grow almost 20 percent over the next decade. Because demand for computer scientists is so high, computer science jobs pay very high salaries. Experienced computer scientists commonly make upwards of $100,000 per year.
Because Oakland University’s computer science degree has such a strong reputation among employers, our computer science majors often receive offers for computer science jobs before they even graduate. You may find computer science job opportunities in areas such as:
- Systems programming
- Computer science
- Software design and development
- Information security
- Information technology
- Web development
- App development
- Systems analysis
- Data analysis
- Front end development
Computer Science Degree: What You’ll Study
Oakland University’s computer science degree is accredited by the ABET Computing Accreditation Commission (CAC). Our computer science degree includes foundational courses in calculus, probability, and physics, and culminates in a professional internship or undergraduate research project. You can also choose courses in one of four professional tracks (computational intelligence, bioinformatics, computer security, and system administration).
Computer science courses focus on subjects such as:
- C programming
- Object-oriented computing
- Data structures
- Programming languages
- Database design
- Operating systems
- Computational theory
- Software engineering
My future career:
Artificial Intelligence Programmer
My future career:
- Possible Career Options
- Median Salary*
- Education Needed
- For More Information**
Possible Career Options
- Artificial Intelligence Programmer
- Director of Technology
- Information Systems Designer
- Program Manager
- Project Manager
- Software Design Engineer
- Systems Analyst
- Test Engineer