Expand the section navigation mobile menu
CJ - Advising page Banner

Departmental Advising

Our faculty advising team is excited and honored to welcome you to the Department of Communication, Journalism, and Public Relations.

If you’re a major or minor in one of our programs, we recommend that you set up an appointment with your program adviser at least once a year. They will provide you with assistance in planning your schedule, and guidance regarding other questions you might have about becoming involved, and preparing for your future.

If you're undecided about a major or minor, one of our advisers is happy to meet with you to talk about the possibilities waiting for you as a Communication, Journalism or Public Relations student.

CAS AdvisingSteps to Graduation

To schedule an advising appointment, you can call the department directly at 248-370-4120, or email the appropriate adviser from the list below. Before your academic advising appointment, please be sure you have reviewed your Progress to Degree in your OU SAIL account.

Tom Discenna
[email protected]

Christine Stover
[email protected] (BIS students, COM minors and Study Abroad)

Journalism and Public Relations
Holly Shreve Gilbert
[email protected]

Student Org Advising
If you would like information about one of the student organizations affiliated with our department, we encourage you to make an appointment with the acting faculty adviser listed below. Keep in mind that students in these orgs are also happy to answer any questions you have, and we can connect you with one of them, as well.

WXOU Radio
Christine Stover
[email protected]

The Oakland Post
Garry Gilbert
[email protected] 

Association for Women in Communication
Rebecca Mercado Jones
[email protected]

IOTA ETA Communication Honors Society
Christine Stover
[email protected] 

PRSSA Public Relations Student Society of America
Chiaoning Su
[email protected]

Departmental Honors
Departmental honors are awarded to graduating majors for outstanding achievement. Students with a major GPA of 3.60  and an overall GPA of 3.0 may be eligible.

Department of Communication, Journalism, and Public Relations

Wilson Hall, Room 316
371 Wilson Boulevard
Rochester, MI 48309-4486
(location map)
(248) 370-4120

General Department Questions: