School Board Members
Oakland University Requirements
The Michigan Revised School Code requires an Authorizer of Public School Academies to adopt a resolution establishing the method of selection, length of term and number of members of the Board of Directors for each school subject to its jurisdiction. On October 5, 1995, The Oakland University Board of Trustees adopted such a resolution. Oakland University requires by contract that the Public School Academies it authorizes meet the following requirements:
- The adoption of Articles of Incorporation providing for the establishment of a Board of Directors;
- A method of selection of its members, including a method by which candidates for membership are presented to the University for approval;
- Membership of a Board of Directors be no less than five (5) members and no more than nine (9); and
- All candidates, new and renewal, submit to a review process coordinated by the Office of Public School Academies.
PSA Office Procedures and Deadlines
The OU Office of Public School Academies conducts a thorough, due-diligence screening of each candidate, new and renewing, for membership to a school’s Board of Directors. This screening process consists of:
- Submission of a completed Board Member Application Form* (Schedule 17A);
- *While changes are being made to the Application, please contact our office for a copy of the form
- Submission of a current professional resume;
- Completion of criminal and professional background checks;
- Completion of a personal interview; and
- Completion of a reference check, based on names provided in the Application Form.
In addition to the list above, Renewal Candidates are also requested to submit evidence of their attendance record for the term(s) they already have served. All required forms are available, in downloadable PDF and Word format, on this page.
Candidates that successfully complete the screening process are then recommended to the Board of Trustees designate, Office of the Provost. Unless otherwise notified, term length for Board Members will be for three years and renewable. Term length for Board Members that are also parents of students attending the Academy in question will be for one year and renewable.