Registrar Services Location

North Foundation Hall, Room 160
318 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4454
(location map)
(248) 370-3450
Text: (248) 368-7944

Office Hours:
M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Feel free to visit us in-person, phone, text, email, instant message or web conference us during our office hours.

Office of the Registrar

O'Dowd Hall, Room 100
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4482
(location map)
Fax: (248) 370-2586

An Oakland University student making check marks next to courses listed in a notebook.

Transfer Information

Change can be intimidating, and moving from one college to another may seem overwhelming. At Oakland University, we make the transfer process easy. Our resources ensure your hard earned credits will transfer to OU and apply to your degree. So no matter where you're going, or where you came from, OU is where your perseverance pays off — and you move one step closer to graduation.

Our dedicated academic advisers will help you during the entire transfer process. Our goal is to make your experience as smooth and rewarding as possible. That’s why we have eliminated limits on transfer credit from community colleges.

Learn more about the steps to apply to OU as a transfer student through Undergraduate Admissions. Once you apply, you’ll become eligible for transfer scholarships, which may be awarded any semester, including summer.

See for yourself why OU was named to Phi Theta Kappa’s 2021 Transfer Honor Roll for our outstanding support of transfer students.

Transfer GuidesArticulation AgreementsMiTransfer Pathways

Common Questions
What does the typical transfer process look like?
After applying to OU, you’ll receive a preliminary evaluation of your coursework (showing how your earned credits apply to OU degree requirements) by mail within a few weeks of admission. If you need an individual course evaluated, please read the Transfer Course Review section. Transfer credit will be posted to your academic record after you’re officially admitted to OU and after we receive your official transcripts from previous institutions.

You’ll then meet with your academic adviser to receive your final credit evaluation, which will show how transfer credits apply to specific major requirements.
Need to send a transcript to OU?
If you are a current student, please have your official transcript sent to or mailed to O'Dowd Hall Room 100, 586 Pioneer Drive, Rochester MI 48309. If you are not yet admitted, please send your official transcript to Undergraduate Admissions.
Coming from a community college?
Oakland University no longer limits the amount of transfer credits from community colleges. However, you must complete at least 45 credits at Oakland University in order to graduate. (Some formal program-to-program articulation agreements modify this requirement. See specific agreements for details.) If you are planning to transfer at least 62 credits from a community college, please consult with an adviser in the department of your major to determine how to best complete remaining degree requirements.
Coming from a four-year institution?
To get you closer to your graduation goal, we generally do not limit the amount of credit transferred from four-year institutions. Certain remedial courses may not be accepted, and religion courses offered by religiously affiliated post-secondary schools require faculty approval for transfer.
Attending OU and taking classes elsewhere?
Sometimes current OU students complete coursework (gen ed classes, summer courses, etc.) at other institutions. Those students should have an official transcript mailed directly from the guest institution to the Office of the Registrar. Please contact your OU academic adviser to receive a copy of the final evaluation.
Transferring credit from an international institution?
We value the experience of international studies, and are proud to welcome diverse perspectives to OU. If you completed coursework outside the United States or Canada, you must provide an evaluation from a credentials evaluation service. Learn more about those services from Undergraduate Admissions International Students or Graduate Admissions.
How do payments work?
Tuition at OU is based on class standing, residency and number of enrolled credits. If transfer credits change your class standing from sophomore to junior mid-semester, the tuition will reassess from lower level rates to upper level rates. The new tuition charges will be due on the next scheduled payment due date. If you are enrolled in an OU payment plan, the tuition will be divided equally among any remaining payment plan installments.
Attending OU and wishing to transfer to another institution?
We’d hate to see you leave OU, but if you must go, you will need to request an  official transcript to transfer your credits to another institution.
Transfer Equivalency Tool

OU’s Transfer Equivalency Tool contains course equivalencies for community colleges and four-year institutions (courses must be completed with a minimum grade of C- or 2.0 on a numeric scale).

If a course has two general education categories listed, only one can be used. The only exception is if one of the categories is DIV, then both can be used.

Equivalencies are intended for reference purposes and are subject to change. The inclusion or exclusion of courses does not guarantee applicability of transfer courses to a degree program. 

Transfer Course Review Requests

Students planning to take a future transfer course or requesting the re-evaluation of a course have the following options:

  • If you are seeking to fulfill a course requirement from a professional school (i.e, School of Business Administration, School of Engineering and Computer Science, School of Education and Human Services, School of Health Sciences or School of Nursing), please inquire with the appropriate academic adviser.
Reverse Transfer

Did you transfer to OU before you finished your associate’s degree? Reverse Transfer can help you finish.

Oakland University partners with Bay College, Delta College, Henry Ford College, Jackson College, Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Kellogg Community College, Kirtland Community College, Macomb Community College, Mid-Michigan College, Montcalm Community College, Mott Community College, Oakland Community College, Schoolcraft College, St. Clair County Community College, and Washtenaw Community College in an effort to increase degree completion. Reverse transfer involves reviewing credits earned at the four-year college or university to determine if you are eligible for an associate degree from the community college you attended. It allows students to increase their credentials by earning their associate's degree while pursuing a bachelor’s degree program at Oakland University.

The Associate’s Degree: A Valuable Credential

An associate’s degree is a valuable credential to employers that can make you stand out in the applicant pool. It shows you have what it takes to be successful in addition to helping you obtain job-based experience applicable to your future career and education while completing your OU degree. Because the evaluation is based on OU credit you’ve already earned, you may be able to achieve your associate’s degree with no additional cost or time commitment.