Expand the section navigation mobile menu
Student Housing - Polices Main Page Banner


The best way to navigate challenging residential situations and personal circumstances — and to avoid them from happening in the first place — is to review and understand OU’s policies. Take time to read our policies and procedures, and think about how they pertain to your everyday life.

Cancelling your housing contract

To cancel your on-campus housing, you will need to complete a Contract Release Form online. You may do so by following the instructions shown below. We also have a contract cancellation video tutorial available for your convenience.

Please remember that you have until July 15, 2023 to cancel your housing contract without penalty. After that time, you will be subject to cancellation charges as outlined in the terms and conditions of the housing contract.

Please note that once you cancel your contract, you will have five business days in which to move out of your room assignment and return your key. As such, you will want to time the submission of your contract release form accordingly.

To cancel your housing contract:

  1. Log into the My Housing portal.

  2. Click the Contracts/Forms drop-down menu, then click on the contract you would like to cancel.

  3. From the What Would You Like to Do with This Application? drop-down menu that appears, select Cancel/Withdraw This Application, then click Submit.

  4. When prompted, confirm that you want to cancel your contract by selecting Yes, Cancel This Application from the drop-down menu that appears.

  5. Select the reason you are cancelling your contract.

  6. In the Add Any Additional Notes box, provide any additional information you feel is important, then click Submit.

  7. You will then reach a confirmation page for the contract release, and notice that the word Cancelled now appears at the end of the cancelled contract in the Contracts/Forms drop-down menu.

  8. Once your contract release is processed, and your key is returned, University Housing will remove any remaining housing charges from your student account to provide you a prorated refund of your room and board. This typically occurs within 2-3 business days. Those with questions regarding the contract release process may contact [email protected].
Considerations for graduating students

Students who will graduate at the conclusion of the fall semester will need to cancel the remainder of their housing contract prior to leaving University Housing. Students who will graduate at the conclusion of the winter semester do not have to take any additional steps with regard to their housing contract.

Graduating students who must stay in their Oakland University Housing assignment beyond the semester closing date (winter) or the end-of-the-year closing date (spring) in order to attend commencement ceremonies will be permitted to stay from the end of the contract term until 11 p.m. on the day following completion of the commencement season, eligibility permitting. In order to be eligible to remain in on-campus housing beyond the applicable closing date, students must complete the late stay request form, which is emailed to students near the end of the semester. You can find more details about this process here

To be eligible to reside in University Housing, students must be:
  • formally admitted to the University as matriculated or conditionally admitted students in a degree-seeking program at the University and enrolled in a minimum of one (1) credit hour during each fall, winter, or summer semester in which they reside in University Housing;
  • matriculated students in a degree-seeking program at another college or university that has an affiliation or exchange agreement with the University and who are attending the University as part of a program covered by one of the affiliation or exchange agreements;
  • or, participating in the University’s authorized summer camp or Semester Abroad programs. 
In addition, students who have been admitted to the University’s English as a Second Language Institute (“ESL Institute”) are eligible to reside in University Housing if they:
  • have either applied to a degree-seeking program at the University or have indicated on their ESL Institute application that they intend to pursue a degree at the University;
  • are required to complete coursework in the University’s ESL Institute in order to meet the University’s English language proficiency admissions requirements;
  • have been issued an I-20 or DS-2019 from the University for their ESL Institute studies;
  • are enrolled full-time in ESL Institute courses; and (v) are making satisfactory academic progress in their ESL Institute program as determined by the University.

ESL Institute students may be registered less than full-time if they are either participating in the University's American Semester Abroad Program or are in the final semester of their ESL Institute coursework and are enrolled in at least the minimum number of courses/credits to fully complete their ESL Institute program in that semester.

Students enrolled in continuing education classes or other non-degree programs are not formally admitted to the University and are therefore not eligible to reside in University Housing.

Students must also complete at least 16 credit hours in good standing and be a non-first-year resident to reside in the Apartments.

Students who experience a change of status resulting in lack of eligibility compliance must vacate their assigned residence halls rooms or apartments as directed by the Department of University Housing.

Alcohol Policy
Only people 21 years and older may possess and consume alcoholic beverages. Any individual possessing, and/or consuming, and/or found to be in the presence of alcohol who is not of legal age, or possessing, and/or consuming alcohol in a public area within University Housing, may be issued an appearance ticket (MIP – minor in possession) by the Oakland University police. Alcohol may be possessed and consumed only in student rooms where the occupant is 21 years or older. When consuming alcohol in student rooms, apartments or cottages, the room and/or suite and/or apartment or cottage door must be closed and occupants must be in no violation of other policies. Students should be aware of the legal liability inherent in supplying alcohol to anyone not of legal age.

Neither possession (including open cans, bottles, cups, squeeze bottles, etc.) nor consumption of alcohol is allowed in any public area within University Housing, including balconies, hallways, lounges, study rooms and community bathrooms. It is not permitted outdoors. Alcohol containers and returnables must be wrapped or contained in a bag or other packaging so the contents are not visible. It is not acceptable to hide alcohol containers in pockets or under coats and shirts. Alcohol bottles and containers may not be used as decorative items in residences.

“Common source” distribution, defined as any individual or group of students sharing or supplying alcoholic beverages, is prohibited. Kegs and consumption paraphernalia are not permitted in the residence halls. Students violating the alcohol policy may be required to attend an alcohol education class, and may face additional sanctions as deemed fit by University Housing or the Dean of Students Office.

Drug Policy
As a state-supported institution, Oakland University expects its students to observe federal and state laws regarding the use or possession of illegal drugs. The university does not permit the sale, distribution, use or possession of illegal drugs on campus, nor the use or possession of drug paraphernalia (i.e. bongs, rolling papers, hookah pipes, scales, roach clips, etc.).

The possession of a Michigan marijuana registry identification card does not exempt students from this prohibition. The use and possession of marijuana remains illegal under federal law and, as a recipient of federal funds, Oakland University is subject to the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 and the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989, and could lose federal funding for any violations of those acts that require Oakland University to take measures to combat the use of drugs and alcohol. Prescription drugs are only to be used by the person to whom they are prescribed and as directed.

Students and guests who are found to be smelling of, in the presence of, or under the influence of illegal drugs are subject to disciplinary action, which could include immediate suspension or expulsion from University Housing and/or the university, as well as legal action. Students violating this policy also may be required to attend a drug education class, and may face additional sanctions as deemed fit by University Housing or the Dean of Students Office.

Sexual misconduct is unwelcome conduct of a sexual nature without consent and includes sexual harassment, sexually hostile environments and sexual violence. Learn more about OU’s Sexual Assault and Violence Initiative.

University Housing

Hamlin Hall, Room 448
550 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4452
(location map)
(248) 370-3570

Monday - Friday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.