586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4482
Office Hours during Winter 2017 semester:
Monday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Thursday 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Upcoming Recruiting Events
- 03/7/17 - Transfer Student Open House
- 03/11/17 - Society of Women Engineers at UM Ann Arbor
- 03/14/17 - Graduate Open House
- 03/18/17 - Go For The Gold
- 04/12/17 - GM JumpStart Employee Grad Fair at Tech Center
- 04/22/17 - Human Health Day
- 05/3/17 - Transfer Student Open House (OU Macomb County)
- 07/12/17 - Transfer Student Open House
Graduate Study and Lifelong Learning hosts events each year for prospective and current graduate students. View the list of events for the upcoming 2016-2017 academic year below.
2017 3-Minute thesis competition
Graduate Study is inviting Master's and Ph.D. students who are working on their thesis/dissertation to apply for a pre-selection process in order to compete as the representative of Oakland University in the Midwest Association of Graduate Schools (MAGS) 2017 3-Minute Thesis Competition (3MT).
The 3MT was developed by the University of Queensland where graduate students must orally summarize their research activities in 3 minutes or less with one static slide.
The winner of the pre-selection process will receive a $100 award and will represent Oakland University at the MAGS 2017 3-Minute Thesis Competition (3MT) in Indianapolis on April 5-7, 2017. All costs associated with participation in the MAGS annual meeting will be covered by Graduate Study.
Deadline and pre-selection process:
- Submit a one single static PowerPoint slide to Graduate Study by Tuesday, March 7, 2017 to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line 3MT competition.
- Be prepared and available to do a 3 minute presentation at the Graduate Council's meeting on Wednesday, March 15, 1:30 - 3 pm.
- The winner will be announced on Thursday, March 16, 2017.
Overall 3MT competition rules:
- One single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. Slide transitions, animations or "movement" of any description of the slide content is not allowed.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. note cards, scripts, pointers, costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3:00 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3:00 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are to commence from the stage.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter begins through movement or speech.
- The decision of the judging panel is final.
2017 Graduate student research conference
Graduate Study and the Office of Research Administration are inviting you to attend the 2017 Graduate Student Research Conference to be held on Friday, March 10 in the Oakland Center. This is a great opportunity to learn about graduate students' research, to network with students and faculty, and to hear from the keynote speaker Dr. Kathie Olsen, Founder and Managing Director of ScienceWorks.
Friday, March 10, 2017
7:30 am to 1:30 pm
2017 Graduate Student Research Conference Schedule:
- 7:45 - 8:45 am: Breakfast and Registration
- 9:00 - 10:30 am: 8 Concurrent Sessions
- 10:45 - 11:45 am: Posters
- 12:00 - 1:30 pm: Lunch/Guest Speaker
We are looking forward to celebrating graduate student's work together!
To learn more about our 2016 Graduate Student Research Conference click here.
Graduate open house
The Graduate Open House is a great opportunity for you to come to campus, meet with Program Representatives and Discover all the OU has to offer!
- Explore more that 130 Doctorate, Master's and Graduate Certificate Programs
- Learn about Financial Aid and Payment Options
- Receive information on the Admission Requirements and the Application Process
- Light Refreshments and gifts will be provided
TUESDAY, MARCH 14, 2017
- 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Main Campus, Oakland Center, Banquet Rooms
- We recommend parking in P-1 and using the west entrance. The banquet rooms are located on the top floor
- (Campus Map) l (Directions to Campus)
Ph.D. students get-together
Graduate Study and Lifelong Learning is inviting all Ph.D. students to a monthly get-together for the purpose of building a Ph.D. students community and to discuss topics of interest to all Ph.D. students. Our focus is to create a doctoral students community where students can share experiences and discuss topics of interest to them.
We have scheduled the following dates in the Nyberg Room (242) in the Library from 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm.
- Wednesday, February 15, 2017 - PowerPoint presentation
- Tuesday, March 14, 2017
- Topic of discussion: Choosing your path after graduation: to academe or not to academe
- Wednesday, April 12, 2017
- Topic of discussion: Promoting yourself to the world
If you are interested in participating, please submit the RSVP form provided on each date.
Dean's choice graduate video competition
Do you have what it takes to creatively capture the life of an Oakland University graduate student in a video? Graduate Study is inviting graduate students to create and submit a video that portrays graduate student life at Oakland University. This competition is sponsored by Oakland University Credit Union.
Goal of competition
To create a video to paint the portrait of an OU graduate student: who the OU graduate student is, what s/he looks like, what s/he does. The intent is to bring to life the image of OU Graduate Study, and to personify the graduate culture on campus.
- First Prize: $1,500
- Second Prize: $750
- Third Prize: $250
Deadlines and selection process
- Once your video is complete, upload your video to YouTube and submit your YouTube link to email@example.com with subject line: Video Competition
- Videos must be submitted by Thursday, March 30, 2017
- Winning video will be announced during awards ceremony on Wednesday, April 12, 2017
Winning entries may be used for promotional purposes.
- Only one video per student may be submitted
- Entries must be from an active full or part-time graduate student currently enrolled in a master's, education specialist, or doctoral degree program
- Submissions must be 2 minutes or less in length from start to end
- Portrayal within video must be positive and appropriately reflect OU graduate students
- The decision of the judging panel is final; feedback regarding the competitor's performance will not be provided
Criteria for selection of winner
- Quality of video
- Length is 2 minutes or less
- Positive image and portrayal of Oakland University graduate students
- Message that is being promoted
- Competition will be evaluated and ranked by a judging panel that includes one OUCU member
Graduate students end of semester social party
Join your fellow graduate students and the Dean of Graduate Studies for an evening of mingling, conversation and fun!
Wednesday, April 26, 2017
5 pm - 7 pm
Oakland Center, Banquet Room B
Graduate assistant orientation
Current graduate assistants are invited to attend an orientation to learn about academic policies and processes that impact their graduate assistantship experience.
Tuesday, September 19, 2017
5 pm - 7 pm
Nyberg Room #242
For more information about graduate assistantships visit our financial assistance page.
Graduate student orientation
New and current students are invited to attend an orientation to learn about academic policies and processes that impact their graduate student experience.
Event details and registration coming soon!
Students should review our presentation from Tuesday, January 26, 2017 and contact us if there are any questions or concerns.