Master of Accounting
Discover limitless opportunities to expand your skills and education through Oakland University’s Master of Accounting (MAcc) program. In this one-year program, you will earn the credit hours required to sit for the CPA Exam while also establishing a strong foundation for future career advancement. Our comprehensive curriculum coupled with internship, professional development and networking with public accounting and corporate recruiters prepares you for an accounting career in public, corporate and non-profit organizations.
Oakland University’s business school boasts elite AACSB-International accreditation for its accounting and business programs.
Oakland University's MAcc program is designed for students who are interested in careers in public, corporate and non-business accounting. Earning this degree will provide students with qualifications employers expect of new employees. Students graduating from Oakland University’s MAcc program will be effective communicators, maintain a high level of expertise and uphold ethical responsibilities, while providing financial information, analysis of the economic environment and input in decision-making activities. Students are highly recruited and offered positions prior to graduation. Oakland University MAcc graduates have very successful careers within the accounting profession.
Oakland University allows MAcc students to focus on the areas of accounting that interest them the most. Students can customize their MAcc degree by selecting an Optional Concentration. Optional Concentrations (which appear on student transcripts) can be obtained in Assurance or Taxation.
The MAcc degree will also provide you with the appropriate number of business and accounting credits required for the Uniform Certified Public Accountant Exam and the CPA License.
Graduate Business Programs
Admission to the Master of Accounting Program is selective and depends on several elements, including scholarship and ability to communicate effectively. Applicants are required to have minimum proficiency in personal computing skills (i.e., word processing and spreadsheets). Applicants deemed deficient in this area may be required to complete a self-study course in computer workstation skills.
Applications are considered by the Accounting Graduate Admissions Committee. In making admission recommendations, the admissions committee assesses the potential of applicants for success in the master's program by examining their undergraduate records, their GMAT or GRE scores, their responses to questions on the supplemental application and their work experience.
The requirements for admission to the MAcc program program include:
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited undergraduate institution
- The Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE)*
For information on program prerequisites, see the catalog.
Learn about the GMAT preparation courses offered at Oakland University.
* MAcc applicants may request to waive the GMAT/GRE requirement.
MAcc applicants may request to waive the GMAT/GRE requirement. To be eligible for the waiver, applicants must meet one of the following criteria:
- Earned a master’s degree or higher with a minimum overall GPA of 3.0
- Has an acceptable score on the GRE, LSAT, or MCAT entrance exam
- Earned a bachelor’s degree with an overall GPA of at least 3.0 from an AACSB-accredited business school
- Earned a bachelor’s degree in any major with an overall GPA of at least 3.2 from a regionally accredited program
- Completed a business-related certification such as CPA, CFA, CFP or FRM
- Has at least 3 years of relevant professional work experience and an undergraduate overall GPA of at least 2.75
- Has completed at least 3 years of service in the US armed services
The GMAT/GRE waiver is integrated into the application, so if you believe you qualify, select this option.
The application process requires submission of the following:
- Online Application for Admission from the Graduate School
- Curriculum Vitae or Resumé - uploaded after online application is submitted
- Two email addresses for individuals who will write your recommendations - added after online application is submitted
- Official transcripts from all previous colleges and universities attended sent to OU
- Official GMAT/GRE scores sent to OU*
International students who have not earned a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. college or university or at least 24 credits from a U.S school, will have additional application requirements:
- A transcript evaluation (for transcripts from a college or university outside of the United States)
- TOEFL Exam Scores (for non-native English speakers unless they have a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. college or university or at least 24 credits from a U.S. school)
*MAcc applicants may request to waive the GMAT/GRE requirement.
Applications for Fall semester must be received by April 1st.
A Master of Accounting (MAcc) from Oakland sets you apart from competition. In one year, you will expand your career opportunities with new knowledge and advanced education. You will establish a strong basis for a career in public, corporate, government or non profit accounting. Optional concentrations in assurance and taxation mean you can customize your degree. A MAcc degree also provides the appropriate number of business and accounting credits required for the Uniform Certified Public Accountant Exam and the CPA Exam.
47% Employed at start of program
94% Graduates placed within 3 months of graduation
82% Graduates with new employer, new title at existing employer or salary increase greater than 10%
Employment information is based on a 100% Knowledge Rate. Knowledge Rate is reliable and verifiable outcome information from survey responses, social media mining and departmental records for students who graduated with a Master of Accounting degree from the School of Business Administration 2022-23.
$65,333 Average salary after completing the MAcc program
69% OU facilitated
15% Graduate facilitated
15% Online job board
Salary and Job Source information is based on a 77% Survey Response Rate from students who graduated with a Master of Accounting degree from the School of Business Administration 2022-23.
- MAcc graduates are highly sought after and have very successful careers.
- The CPA pass rate exceeds national average for first-time candidates.
- The top 14 Accounting firms in Southeastern Michigan hire Oakland Accounting graduates.
- The big 4 Accounting firms – Deloitte, Ernst & Young, KPMG and PricewaterhouseCoopers – designate Oakland as a key or preferred school.