Business Honors Direct Admit
Direct Admission: Business Honors Program
Preparing for a brilliant future
Talented students benefit from an educational experience that matches their academic preparations and aspirations. Direct admission to Oakland’s School of Business through its Business Honors program assists high-achieving high school students excel in their endeavors. The only standalone Business Honors program at a Michigan university, the Oakland Business Honors program offers students a close-knit community inside the business school. Each cohort takes customized classes in special sections open only to them, engage in a host of unique experiences, and prepare for a brilliant future. The Oakland business school will welcome its first class Honors class Fall 2018.
Business Honors students:
- Are immersed in a highly interactive, stimulating program offering rigorous academics;
- Access enhanced student support services
- Take part in at least one international experience;
- Build strong leadership skills through required experiential learning activities;
- Represent Oakland in national and international competitions;
- Form a strong network with peers and members of the professional community that will serve them well in their careers.
Admission to Oakland’s Business Honors Program is limited to 35 exceptional students who are chosen on a competitive basis. High school students enter the program as freshmen and must apply by completing a separate application. Acceptance into the program is decided in the spring.
Direct admission into Oakland’s business school puts motivated, high-achieving high school students on the fast-track to success. After being admitted directly to the School of Business Administration as freshmen, the Business Honors program also provides:
- Opportunity for students to declare a major by the end of the sophomore year
- A structure designed to graduate students in four years
- Pre-core and core courses taken as a cohort in special Honors sections
- Required experiential learning activities
- Mandatory international experience
- Customized Freshman and Senior Seminars
Freshmen Business Honors students who live on campus may further enhance their educational and residential experience by applying to live in the Business Living Learning Community in West Vandenberg Hall.
Enrollment in the Business Honors Program is limited. Only incoming freshmen will be admitted to the program each fall. To be considered, students must have:
- High school GPA of 3.5 or greater following junior year
- A combined SAT score of 1280 or higher or an ACT composite score of 27 or higher
- A score of 660 or higher on the Mathematics section of the SAT or a score of 620 or higher on the Evidence-based Reading and Writing section; or an ACT Math score of 28 or higher or an ACT English score of 28 or higher
Students must apply by December 1 of their senior year at oakland.edu/apply.
Once in the program, students must:
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 every semester to remain in the program
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above to graduate from the program
To be considered for direct admission into the Business Honors Program high school seniors must:
- First apply to and be accepted by Oakland University at oakland.edu/apply
- Complete a Business Honors Program supplemental application (including personal essay). This application will be available summer 2017.
The direct admission program will be limited to 35 students per year. Completion of the minimum requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the School of Business Administration as a direct admission student.
Acceptance in the program is decided in spring. Students are admitted to the program as freshmen each fall.
Taught by some of our most dedicated faculty members, courses in the Business Honors program feature:
- Experiential, problem-solving activities (flipped classroom model)
- Cased-based learning integrated across courses
- Simulation-based capstone experience
Introductory Financial Accounting
Managerial and Cost Accounting
Principles of Microeconomics
Principles of Macroeconomics
Legal Environment of Business
Management Strategies and Policies
Business Problem Solving with Information Technology
Management Information Systems
Introduction to Organization Behavior
Introduction to the Management of Human Resources
Statistical Methods for Business I
Statistical Methods for Business II
What is an example of a required experiential learning activity?
The Oakland business school offers students many opportunities to take part in experiential learning activities. Many of our high-achieving students take advantage of more than one. Options include: completing an internship, participating in Business Scholars, taking the Student Managed Investment Fund course (FIN 4900), and an international trip.
I can’t afford to travel, how can I meet the mandatory international experience?
While traveling internationally is a tremendous experience that students say it can’t be beat, it isn’t the only way to fulfill this requirement. Business Honors students can fulfill the international experience requirement by taking a foreign language class or international business elective. Keep in mind scholarships are often made available to help business students offset the cost of an international trip.
Can I be part of the Oakland Honors College as well as the Business Honors program?
Absolutely. The Honors College and the Business Honors program are complementary. All Honors College core courses satisfy the general education requirements of Oakland University and some core courses may also satisfy the ethnic diversity and writing in the Gen Ed requirement. Students in the Honors College work toward completing the HC requirements in conjunction with their major.
I want to live on campus. Can I extend my Honors experience in the residence halls?
There are a couple options for Honors students living on campus. Those students accepted into the Honors College and meet other criteria can apply for a spot in the Honors College Living Learning Community in Oak View Hall. Business Honors students also have the option of applying to be part of the Pre-Business Living Learning Community. Space is limited in both halls, so be sure to apply as soon as you are admitted to Oakland University.
Can I apply to the direct admit Business Honors program if I am not a freshman?
You can only apply and be admitted to the Business Honors program as an incoming freshman each fall.