Business Analytics Graduate Certificate
No longer the exclusive domain of IT professionals, employers are seeking professionals across disciplines who can harness data to solve business problems. From automotive and financial services to marketing, human resources and education, career opportunities abound for those who understand how to leverage the power of data to improve business processes.
New for Fall 2023
Students have the option of applying for the on-campus or 100% online Business Analytics Graduate Certificate program. Both programs offer the same high-quality curriculum and experienced faculty and allow students to complete online or on-campus courses. Applicants for the 100% online program will be assessed in-state resident tuition rates.
This certificate is a 15-credit hour program, offered online or on campus, for students who possess a bachelor’s degree in any discipline. Credits earned in this program can be applied toward a Master of Science in Business Analytics or Master of Science in IT Management at Oakland University. This program is ideal for the working professional in any field who is looking to gain knowledge in business analytics.
In this program, students will explore a range of quantitative and computational techniques that have wide use in today’s data-driven business world by studying:
- statistical analysis
- data visualization
- mathematical modeling
- management science
- data mining
- predictive analytics
- data science
- scientific computing
- data preparation and cleaning
- data warehousing
- business intelligence
* Students with sufficient database background through prior course work or experience may take MIS 6060 Advanced Databases and Big Data Management course with instructor permission.
Graduate Business Programs
Business analytics has been recognized as a valuable activity by organizations in numerous industries. However, finding people that have the requisite blend of quantitative, computing and business domain knowledge and skills for business analytics work is proving to be a challenge. OU's Graduate Certificate in Business Analytics provides a time and cost effective way for students to fill in the gaps in their knowledge and skill base in preparation for business analytics work.
Most courses have a significant project component that is often sponsored by the employer of the student or by one of the local companies with which the SBA has a relationship. Such projects greatly enhance the educational experience and provide a way for employers to not only have a project done for them but also to serve as a way to evaluate potential hires in a field in which it is difficult to find qualified applicants.
Applicants must hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited undergraduate institution.
How to Apply
The application process requires submission of the following:
- Online Application for Admission from the Graduate School
- Curriculum Vitae or Resumé - uploaded after online application is submitted
- Two email addresses for individuals who will write your recommendations - added after online application is submitted
- Official transcripts from all previous colleges and universities attended sent to OU
International students who have not earned a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. college or university or at least 24 credits from a U.S school, will have additional application requirements:
- A transcript evaluation (for transcripts from a college or university outside of the United States)
- TOEFL Exam Scores (for non-native English speakers unless they have a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. college or university or at least 24 credits from a U.S. school)